Claes-Göran Östenson, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Endocrine and Diabetes Unit Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
PhD (Doktorsexamen): 1979, Histology, Uppsala University.
Docent (Ass Prof): 1982 Medical Cellbiology (Uppsala), 1986 Endocrinology (Karolinska Institutet).
Senior professor of endocrinology, Karolinska Institutet
Postgraduate and postdoctoral students: Supervised to doctoral dissertation16 postgraduate students as main supervisor and 9 students as co-supervisor. In addition supervised 2 postdoctoral student. At present, supervising 3 postgraduate students.
Published about 350 original papers in the field of diabetes research, i.e. on pathogenesis and treatment of type 2 diabetes including epidemiology, genetics, and studies in animal models of the disease:
- Novel therapy of type 2 diabetes by assessing anti-diabetic effects of traditional plant extracts, and isolated active compounds from such extracts, from Southeast Asian countries.
- Epidemiology and impact of risk factors in life style and humoral biomarkers, in a cohort of 8000 subjects in Stockholm, studied at baseline and follow-up after 10 years.
- Genetic studies, i.e. genotyping in the material described above, relating SNP´s to prediabetes, diabetes and obesity.
- Prevention of type 2 diabetes.
- Studies of mechanisms behind impaired B-cell function in man as well as in animal models of type 2 diabetes, e.g. the Goto-Kakizaki (GK) rat.